Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Security attitude

One thing that often gets to me is the attitude of security officers. I know I am not alone in this but having traveled so much with Zoe in many different carriers, through changes of TSA regulations and with all kinds of milk, with and without baby, I often find myself ahead of the officers. One of the things that annoy me at the moment is that since it is no longer allowed to carry your baby through the metal detecter in a carrier (wrap, soft-structured carrier etc), except at the discretion of the security officers, the officers tend to interpret the regulations differently. They basically mix up carrying your baby with the rejection of the backscatter. So when I ask if I can keep Zoe in the carrier they often reply tonelessly "Then I will have to pat you down". This always gives me an annoying choice between taking her out and running the risk of going through and not beeping (which only happens half the time these days) or simply save time and just go for the 'patting down' anyway. But I don't want to look like someone who 'likes' to be padded down so I mostly end up just taking Zoe out and sitting her down in one of the plastic containers while I put the carrier back on (now that she walks, I put her down and ask her not to go anywhere which is a bit of a gamble). The problem is that this reply by the officers is wrong. It is at their discretion to let me through with her in the carrier or not. Instead the answer would either be yes or no according to the officers subjective ruling. If he says yes and I beep, well then I should get patted down, but if he says no, then I have to remove my baby according to the new regulations from November 2010. Thinking about it, I probably just won't ask next time and take her out so she can roam free a bit. My next problem will of course be when she is big enough to have to go through the scanner herself. I am not looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment