Sunday, April 12, 2015

Giant bubbles and sushi

To my big surprise my picture of Zoe having breakfast in the kitchen windowsill got 46 likes within 24 hours. I had sneaked in and snapped her as she ate a chocolate cookie and strawberries (a perfectly reasonable breakfast for a Saturday) and watched her favorite show on the iPad. She had crawled up there herself, with her owl duvet, because she wanted my company; I was still fixing my coffee and bagel. But where it might be the epitome of a wonderful start to a day, our own secret was that the day just kept getting better.

Three hours later we met with a friend and her baby at Ellary's Greens for pancakes and freshly squeezed cucumber/carrot/beet juice. Zoe fell down from the bench and scraped her foot, crying her eyes out (it was a nasty cut right on top of her big toe) but proceeded to snuggle up and fall asleep on my lap. After a great girl talk with my friend who has a 9 month old baby, Zoe woke up and we went looking for a playground, leaving said friend and baby to their nap time. The sun was out and Zoe was sporting both a flower sunhat and sunglasses. We were quickly successful since I remembered the Bleeker playground from a year and a half ago when we had passed by and spent an hour there. Zoe knocked herself out taking the big-girl slide and riding the tricycles that were all too small for her now until we took a break at a toystore across the road. I promised her one thing under 30 dollars. She chose a giant bubble kit and back at the playground she was the center of all the kids' attention with the big elongated bubbles she was able to make. It was finally getting cold in the shade and I knew the only way I could lure her away: "Zoe what would you like for dinner?", I quizzed her, which is usually cue for "do you want sushi?". She replied as predicted and I found a place a block away that seemed low-key enough for us. She proceeded to sit at the bar and order herself. One of these, four of those. Oh and miso soup, thank you. She charmed the chefs across the counter and they kept giving her little treats: A cucumber flower with bits of salmon inside, little sea wheat pieces etc. I was prouder than proud of her being well-behaved and curious. After dinner we walked back home, her playing a fairy game the whole way: She would put on her pretend clothes, her wings and boots and then run ahead as fast as she could with flailing hands, only stoping if she reached a cross street.

By this time, the Saturday evening party people were already hitting the West Village streets and it was interesting to see the mix. Hipper than hip young people walking around making sure they looked and said the right things, almost run over by a four year old girl in a red dress and gold shoes, ignoring their attention seeking completely.

When we got home, I didn't have the heart (or energy) to put her to sleep and we ended up watching Octonauts together in the sofa with a cup of tea and a snack. Ten PM we both tumbled to bed under the same duvet because it is now very cold in our apartment due to the warmer weather fooling the janitor into turning off the heat. "Mommy", Zoe said. "This was the best day ever". I agreed, not knowing that the next day would be just as good if not better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment